Logo UHasselt


International students

Incoming international students

International students

Logo UHasselt Universiteit Hasselt - Knowledge in action


Welcome! Nice to see you here! Thank you for choosing Hasselt University!

On this page you will find useful information that you need in order to finalise your registration.
Kindly read everything thoroughly. We hope to see you at the beginning of the academic year.

The final registration is step 5 of the admission process. Note that foreign degree holders first need to apply for admission. If you are a foreign degree holder and you did not yet apply for admission, please start the procedure here.

The registrations for academic year 2021 - 2022 are closed.

But you can register for 2022 - 2023 by following the next steps: 

1. Follow the application process
2. Follow-up the status of your file: have you been admitted to one of our study programmes? 
3. Then you'll only have to pay your tuition fees

Do you want to register for academic year 2021 - 2022 as a PhD student? 

1. Start your preregistration

We always ask to start your preregistration because we need to have a clear view on your study path. Your master diploma is the most important document as a PhD student. Start your peregistration by Preregister at UHasselt and fill in al the necessary information. The last step is "up / downloads" where you can upload all the required documents. 

2. Finalise your registration online or on campus

After your preregistration, you can book an online or on campus appointment
A staff member of the student administration is happy to help you with your final registration at UHasselt. 

Online Appointment

Google Meet will be used for all online appointments. 
Once you book your appointment you will receive the link along with extra information.

On Campus Appointment 

All on campus appointments will take place at our registration desk in city campus Hasselt located in the Old Prison building. 

Hasselt University
Hasselt Campus | Old Prison Building
Martelarenlaan 42
3500 Hasselt

Location and accessibility Hasselt Campus

What do you need to bring in order to register?

  • Identity card or passport.
  • Official diplomas (master diploma!)
  • A document that proofs that you can start as a PhD student (mail from your promotor or contract from the staff department). 


E: studentenadministratie@uhasselt.be

T: + 32(0)11 26 81 00


From your second consecutive year at Hasselt University, you need to re-register.

Starting in July, you can re-register from your student file. After re-registering, you'll receive an email with the data needed to transfer an advance for the tuition fees. 

You should re-register as soon as possible, and certainly before the start of the academic year. Re-registering will not be possible after 1 October, because your user number and password will expire on that date.

Information concerning the extension of the resident permit for non-EEA students can be found on this page.

After an interruption

If you have already been registered at Hasselt University in the past and want to register again after an interruption of your studies, you have to register at the registration desk in the Old Prison - City Campus Hasselt.

After your arrival, you have to register with the Student Administration (Martelarenlaan 42, 3500 Hasselt) to complete your registration and get your student card.

During the academic year, students can modify their study contract.

How can you modify your study programme? 
  • De-registration for and modification of a programme within Hasselt University (Education Regulations Article 6.4)
    If you are thinking about changing programme, please contact the academic advisor
  • De-registration for a programme and discontinuing your studies at Hasselt University (Education Regulations Article 6.4
    If you have decided to discontinue your studies at Hasselt University during the academic year, please print out the form "de-registering for a programme" via your student file, fill it out and sign it, and hand it over to the Student Administration Office, together with your student card.